Slideshow

Friday, May 20, 2011

Reading Fish

The Order of Odd-FishThe Order of Odd-Fish by James  Kennedy

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


When I told James Kennedy I'm not yet (still trying) a fan of Neil Gaiman because the books are so layered, thick with prose which slows down the pace, he said, "oh, you won't like mine, then."



Well, James wasn't right. Yes, there were long, rambling descriptions. Yes, it was a deep slow-developing plot.  and no, it wasn't one of the roller-coaster mile a minute paces I enjoy.  But the same things I typically don't like in a book were the things I enjoyed about this.



I loved the where-did-he-come-up-with-this ludicrousness of the story. Rich, varied, wild descriptions of funky scenes and characters. I found myself surrounded by a strange new world.



And I liked it.



It took a bit before the plot got going, but he kept me entertained and amused while I waited for the train to leave. And once on the train, it took off.



This isn't the kind of book I would write, and it's not necessarily the kind I would read, but this one worked for me.



Norm



http://www.normcowie.com



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment