Today I want to talk about a cool way to read stuff... for cheap...or better, for free. It's called Smashwords. If you're a author, I probably don't need to tell you about Smashwords. But if you aren't, but like to read, you've may have never heard of it.
Smashwords is a website authors use to put their ebooks onto Kindle, Nook, Sony, Ipad, etc. But the cool thing for someone who likes to read, it's a great source for free or cheap reads.
Admittedly, some of the stuff on Smashwords is pretty bad. But I could say the same for Kindle or any book by James Patterson. But Smashwords has something Kindle and Nook doesn't. Multi-functional reader files.
If you look up an ebook on Smashwords, you can either:
- read the story on-line right there,
- download a pdf file to your computer
- download a Kindle file (once you download to your computer, just hook up your Kindle to your computer and drag the file into your Kindle).
- download an Epub (Apple iPad/iBooks, Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo, and most e-reading apps including Stanza, Aldiko, Adobe Digital Editions, others)
- or just download it as a plain text
So now that I've clued you into Smashwords, here's the cool thing. Right now, I have four free short stories on Smashwords, Bonkers (caveman humor), Were (a tick gets infected by a werewolf, Mooned (two pets witness their owner transform to a werewolf) and The Really Hot Adventures of Guy (previously in the Heat of the Moment anthology).
In addition, my first book, The Adventures of Guy, is available absolutely free.
If you like to read, you really should explore Smashwords. I suggest you start off by reading Bonkers.