Slideshow

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Book Review: Run by Blake Crouch


I don't do a lot of book reviews (for exceptions, see my Goodreads page), and usually I'm out looking for reviewers for my own book - but the author asked me to consider writing one for his new book. No, I don't personally know him, so this review isn't tainted.

Here goes:

RUN is a frenetically paced chase that explodes out of the blocks like a sprinter on steroids. Within just a few pages, a mild-mannered college professor from New Mexico and his wife and children are rousted from their home by apocalyptic events and relentlessly pursued by murderous hordes though desert, mountain and forest.

I read this entire book at one sitting because I was just overwhelmed by the action, the vivid and artful descriptions of terrain, the emotional interplay between the characters as the wife and husband try and rebuild a relationship even while trying to survive.

There were a few logic points that escaped me, but I didn't have time to ponder them because Crouch swept me right past them with action, violence and suspense. There's really no part in the book where you can put it down, scratch your head and think, because the pace is fast and furious. And in the end, I didn't care that there were parts that could have been smoothed over because I enjoyed the story that much.

RUN is well worth your time. But make sure you tie your shoelaces before you start reading because you won't get another chance.

Here's its buy link at Amazon: RUN

Norm

www.normcowie.com
Norm's Amazon page link

No comments:

Post a Comment