Slideshow

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mo' Stuff from Mo.

It's the last day at the Missouri Writers Guild Conference, and I'm going to talk a bit about the agents who showed up.

If I was listening right, and I'm a guy so I probably wasn't, the Mo. Guild is nearly a hundred years old. Attendee-wise, it was a smaller conference than, say Love is Murder and the Erma Bombeck conferences, but they did a really nice job with the layout, speakers and getting big-name agents.

Kristin Nelson of the Nelson Literary Agency impressed right out of the box. During dinner, she went around to the tables, introduced herself and had a few words for everyone. What a classy move. She comes across as a danged smart and influential woman and you can't help but be impressed.

Joanna Stampfel-Volpe of Nancy Coffrey Literary has a bit of a Tina Fey look to her, and is fun and engaging. She knows her stuff and is passionate about books.

I saved Suzie Townsend of Fine Print Literary for last because I 'clicked' with her. She likes Patricia Briggs books, sarcastic humor and I'm, well, sarcastic and humorous and like Patricia Briggs books. Anyway, she's Peter Rubie's assistant, but also a new and upcoming agent already impressing people 'in the Know.'

A small press publisher, Linda Houle from L&L Dreamspell, was on hand, too, but I didn't get a chance to talk with her.

The conference food was awesome, the hotel complimentary stuff amazing (three free drinks each night, free internet, breakfast, etc. Really nice), and the attendees were a sweet combination of newbie and pros.

Oh, one lady stood out. I had several enjoyable conservations with accomplished children's book author Christine Taylor-Butler. Christine is an engineer by day and has something like forty published books that teach kids about the planet, nature, government, health ... in an entertaining way. Glad people like Christine are out there.

Sorry I didn't say anything funny here. It's early and I haven't had any .. not ANY ... coffee yet.

I must go in search of caffeine.

Norm

www.normcowie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment