Slideshow

Sunday, May 1, 2011

After the Golden AgeAfter the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I love Carrie Vaughn's Kitty werewolf series, but I also know that just because I like one of an author's series, it doesn't mean I'll like that author's other books.  For example, I love Jim Butcher's Dresden series, but couldn't get into his other sci-fi series. Love Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, but her other books are too sugary. Couldn't get enough Hitchhiker's Guide, but Dirk Gently isn't quite as magical.



AFTER THE GOLDEN AGE (dumb title, by the way) started pretty cool, with Celia West getting kidnapped so the bad guys can use her as a hostage to control her superhero parents. Unlike her parents, Celia has no superpowers, unless you include her powers of sarcasm (which, in my opinion, was the best thing about the book).



But then it settled down and a lot of the fun sucked out of the story. Some of the characters, particularly Captain Olympus, developed slowly or not at all.



But then it suddenly morphed into a deeper read with some unexpected twists that led all the way to an ending with some emotional punch which made it all worthwhile.



So all in all, a quick, mostly fun read. But not with the magic of her Kitty series.



Norm



http://www.normcowie.com



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment